Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Message from Sandi

I have been thinking about my time with Laurence over the years and about our recent visits at the hospital, then at home where he was under hospice care. His life has touched so many people in so many different ways. What stands out in my mind right now is his gratitude. While visiting him at the hospital, he said "thank you" more times than I could possibly count. He thanked every person every time they came into his room. Whether it was to feed him, take his blood, empty the trashcan - it didn't matter. He thanked each for their caregiving and support.

"An attitude of gratitude" and similar phrases are not unfamiliar to me. I have heard numerous strategies such as "write a thank-you note every day" or "think of something you are thankful for before you go to sleep at night." In my time with Laurence, however, I encountered an example of the gratitude that St. Paul meant when he wrote "in every thing give thanks."

Laurence had many reasons to feel frustrated or discouraged, angry or afraid. I know he experienced much pain and discomfort. Even so, he has provided me with the most striking example of gratitude I have ever seen in my 59 years. For that, all I can say is,

Thank you, Laurence.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Sandi. Thank you so much for sharing this loving perspective of a very dear Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christine, for sharing yourself with those of us who came to know and love Larry many years ago. You have blessed us with the knowledge that the seed God planted among us so long ago, grew and blossomed into a beautiful, shining example of God's hand in this world. I hope that you will join us the next time we gather to remember the past, rejoice in the present and look to the future. He was one of us; now through him and by the grace of God so too are you and we are blessed to count you among us.

    "One heart and one soul"
    Walter Hackett

    ReplyDelete